Snowfox Group is a leading international, multi-channel Japanese food business with circa. £500m of system sales. The Group was created when YO!, the iconic and colourful British sushi restaurant chain, acquired Bento Sushi in Canada in 2017, Taiko in the UK in 2018 and subsequently merged with Snowfox in the United States in 2019. This has created a one-stop sushi solution for the company’s grocery partners on both sides of the Atlantic with the majority of the company’s profits now coming from North America.
Number of acquisitions during Mayfair’s investment
Growth in number of annual customers
From 7m to 50m
- Recruiting senior management, including Richard Hodgson as CEO in 2017 to lead YO!’s global expansion.
- Expanding YO!’s North American footprint with the acquisition of Canadian market-leader Bento Sushi in November 2017. This added over 550 kiosks and new production facilities which supply 1,600 partner sites across North America.
- Supporting the move into the UK’s food-to-go category with the acquisition of London-based Taiko Foods in April 2018 and rolling out sushi kiosks in Tesco and Asda across the UK.
- Cementing the company’s North American leadership position with June 2019 merger with Snowfox, one of the largest operators and franchise owners of sushi kiosks in the United States, adding a further 900 kiosks to the group.
- Supporting management to develop an ESG programme covering product and supply chain sustainability, diversity & inclusion and climate risk. This includes developing out a detailed ‘getting to net zero’ strategy.
- Enhancing efficiency and saving costs across Bento’s manufacturing facilities through technology improvements and measures to limit food waste, while standardising a best-practice approach across the group as a whole.
- Working with the team to deliver a research and insight programme that informed YO!’s brand evolution and a new approach to social media marketing. Mayfair also supported the creation and rollout of a new Snowfox Group brand.